Zipp’s 2014 Firestrike design, which draws on the same rim patent used in Firecrest, marks the next evolution. Selecting the already highly decorated 404 wheelset, integrating the all-new Showstopper™ brake track technology and a myriad technological advancements to create the most advanced and highest performing wheel design in Zipp’s 26 year history.
• New CFD (computational fluid dynamics) designed Firestrike rim shape provides a 34% reduction in side force while maintaining the aero performance of our Firecrest rims, for the ultimate in aero balance.
• Revised ABLC® (Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control) smooths airflow through more frequent and smaller vortices, providing unmatched stability and control on even the windiest days.
• Showstopper applies a molded in, brake track pattern and introduces a Silicone Carbide (SiC) surface for wet weather braking. This results in equal brake force in wet conditions when compared to industry leading aluminum rims. Showstopper technology delivers greater stopping power in wet conditions than any carbon wheel ever produced.
• The Zipp 88/188v10 is a highly refined version of our pro-proven 88/188v9 hubset. In addition to the added torsional stiffness gained through the virtual 3X lacing pattern utilizing Sapim® CX-Ray® spokes, Zipp have precision set the bearing preload. That means no bearing pre-load adjustment required. Smooth rolling ceramic bearings put every last watt into moving you toward your goal.
• Impress™ direct print graphics create a unique and lasting impression of the 4 most feared letters in speed, Z-I-P-P.
• Beyond Black Decals are so stealthy your competition won't see you coming
• 17.25mm wide clincher bead results in less tyre deformation for better cornering performance.
• Completely refined rim production process creates the most durable rims we’ve ever built, strong enough to conquer the toughest roads between Paris and Roubaix.
Having set the bar on achievable aero efficiency in crosswinds, Zipp's Firecrest rim revolutionized how rims should perform in ever-changing windy conditions. The all-new Firestrike rim is the latest technology built on the same rim patent used in Firecrest. Using Firecrest as a building block, our engineers continued to develop around the principle technologies that made the rim shape great:
1. Optimizing the rim ID to act as the second leading edge, improving the overall wheel system efficiency in cross winds
2. Controlling the shedding frequency, resulting in better rider control
3. Moving the rim system's centre of pressure closer to the bike’s steering axis
The evolutionary Firestrike rim profile has a slightly more blunt ID, improving its aero stability across back half of the wheel. When compared with Firecrest, the new modified ID (inside diameter) geometry of Firestrike allows the leading edge of the profile to keep air attached longer thus further easing the transition to the sidewall. Like it’s Firecrest predecessor, Firestrike continues to produce industry leading low drag across all wind angles.
In designing Firestrike, the engineers have looked at how the wheel fits within the bike system holistically. It's not enough to design a wheel with low drag numbers. It is more about how the wheel interacts symbiotically with you and the bike. The best wheel is one that strikes a fine balance between aero efficiency and aero stability.
Carbon Clincher technology
Zipp’s exclusive resin, based on materials used in motorsports braking systems, effectively tolerates the incredible spikes in heat caused by braking to provide you with reliability and stopping power.
Advanced Boundary Layer Control (ABLC)
Advanced Boundary Layer Control (ABLC) refers to the patented and instantly recognizable dimpled pattern found on all of our carbon rims. ABLC smoothes airflow across the rim's surface and is tailored to every model from the 202 to the Super-9 Disc. The third-generation of ABLC has up to four times more dimples than before.
Showstopper™ is a complementing pairing of a directional, molded-in, texture with silicone carbide particles suspended in the surface resin. The current media blast process applied to all Zipp rims increases the surface roughness of the brake track providing the rider with consistent and responsive braking. In order to improve this for the wettest of rides, we have introduced a molded-in groove specifically tuned for the Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro EVO Brake Pad. The grooves have been optimized to interact with leading edge (relative to the rotation of the wheel) of the brake pad and the four cooling channels. The leading edge of the pad and first two channels efficiently wipe water and debris outward, cleaning and drying the braking surface, while the second two cooling channels have maximum interference with the grooves allowing greater braking force than a smooth rim. The cleaning effects of the groove and pad interaction improve brake feel and consistency even in dry conditions.
Beneath the textured brake track are SiC particles suspended in the resin. Silicone Carbide is nearly three times harder than hardened steel and is very abrasion resistant. Commonly used in cutting tools and grinding wheels, the SiC particles in our Showstopper™ brake track ensure consistent performance for the life of your wheel.
The net result is equal brake force in wet conditions when compared to industry leading aluminium rims. Showstopper technology delivers greater stopping power in wet conditions than any carbon wheel ever produced.
• Hub Used: 188v10
• Rim Depth: 58mm
• Brake Track Width (centre) : 26.4mm
• Max Width: 27.8mm
• Clincher Bead Width: 17.25mm
• Spokes: Sapim® CX-Ray
• Spoke Count: 24
• Spoke Length Non-Drive: 252mm
• Spoke Pattern Non-Drive: 2 cross
• Spoke Pattern Drive: 2 cross
• Spoke Length Drive: 250mm
• Max Tyre Pressure: 125psi
• 11-speed compatible hub: Yes
• Track Adaptable: No
• Dimpled Surface: Yes
• Ceramic Bearing: Included
• Nipples: Sapim®
• External Nipples: Yes
• Included: Zipp Rim Tape 700c x 20mm, Zipp Black Titanium Skewer, Zipp Valve Extension, Zipp Tubes 700c x 23mm, Zipp Single Wheel Bag, 2 Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro Evo Brake Pads (Recommended and approved for Firestrike)