Oval chainrings work because a rider does not produce power evenly through a pedal stroke. Something cyclists minimize through working on pedalling technique. Oval rings negate the need for the precision in this technique as they maximize the part of the stroke where power is produced and minimize resistance where it isn't. Oval rings make the spin cycle smoother and are easier on legs while climbing. Believe it (or not), but a round chainring doesn't transfer torque to your rear wheel as smoothly as an Oval one. You will actually feel your stroke to be more "round" with an Oval shape than with a round chainring.
The absoluteBLACK Road Oval traction chainrings are designed for the 2014 Shimano cranks, 110/5 BCD setups. These include Dura-Ace FC7900, FC7800, Ultegra FC6750, 105 5750 and others. 36T inner chainring can be used with 50 or 52T outer ring. It has 11.4% ovality. Use a 36T if you’re a strong rider or for rolling terrain.
With oval rings, rear tyre traction improves greatly on loose and slippery terrain. Smoother power delivery to your rear wheel means that you will be able to maintain better, constant cadence; get less stress on the joints and be able to keep certain level of effort for longer. This results in higher average speed. According to absoluteBLACK 11 studies made by various Universities in the World show that using oval chainrings human legs utilize more muscle groups (compared to round one), but each of them to lesser degree. Load from pedalling an oval chainring is spread over greater muscle mass which in effect gives you the feeling of fresher and more relaxed legs.
• Size (+/-1g): 36T, 36 grams
• Colour: Black
• Material: CNC Machined 7075 Txxx Aluminium
• Finish: Type II Anodized
• Compatibility: Shimano Dura-Ace 7950, 7900, 7800, Ultegra 6750, 6700, Shimano 105 5700, Tiagra 4650, FSA 3D, 3D+, S-Works, SRAM Force, SRAM RED.Compatible with Di2. NOTE; NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SRAM Force22, or SRAM RED22
• Ovality: 11.4%
Advantages of absoluteBlack special 110/5bcd chainrings:
• One of a kind special oval shape that helps you climb easier and faster (Patent Pending)
• Over 15% stiffer than Rotor Qrings due to thicker, 5mm construction
• Bespoke Absolute Black 6 point ramp and recess shifting design shifts better than any other brand and model of oval chainring
• Finest design that provides excellent strength to weight ratio
• You will not "feel" the oval shape while pedaling
• Your pedaling action will feel smoother
• Helps reduce stress on knees and helping your legs remain fresher for longer
• You will be able to maintain better cadence while climbing
• Reduces possibility of leg cramps
• You will reduce chainring/cog shifts by at least 15%