To De-Fend or Not to De-Fend
Most of us don't use fenders on Open frames, but some do. Open’s idea with the WIDE was to accommodate the latter without adding ugly fender mounts to offend the former. While it's easy to add some invisible mounts to the fork crown and seatstay/chainstay crown, they weren't too sure about how to do it in the centre. That is, until they took a closer look at their Carbon-Ti thru-axles. Since they are hollow from the hex key hole through, you can actually fit an old-style quick release inside the through axle. And with that, you could clamp a fender stay onto the frame. Adding a full fender is a great way to turn your WI.DE. into a winter bike.
It's Important to Note a Few Things
• The fender fights for the same space in the frame as the tyre. So, installing a fender means you cannot fit as big a tyre as you can without. For most riders this will not be a problem because when you think about it, when you ride the sort of muddy terrain that requires the maximum tyre size, you're bound to get dirty with or without a fender anyway. Adding a full fender is a great way to turn your WI.DE. into a winter bike.
• If you're looking to keep the maximum tyre clearance and still protect yourself from the worst spray, then something like an Ass Saver or Fender Bendor is a better idea (the latter provides more protection and thanks to the shape of our seatstay crown, it won't affect tyre clearance at all. Of course an Ass Saver doesn't either).
• It's important to note that officially, fenders are designed for tyres with no or little profile. Keep that in mind when choosing your winter tyre.
Note that there are two fender sizes (S/M and L/XL and each of these has two holes near the BB end. Use the following sizes and hole depending on you frame size.
X-Small Frame - Use Small/Medium Fender and upper hole at the BB side of fender
Small Frame - Use Small/Medium Fender and upper hole at the BB side of fender
Medium Frame - Use Small/Medium Fender and lower hole at the BB side of fender
Large Frame - Use Large/X-Large Fender and lower hole at the BB side of fender
X-Large Frame - Use Large/X-Large Fender and lower hole at the BB side of fender
• Material: Plastic
• Colour: Black
• Tyre Width: 30-45mm
• Front Fender Length: 675mm
• Rear Fender Length: 1012mm
• Includes 2 x Mudguard Stays plus hardware
• Instructions for install