Inspired from the Alps
OPEN. has delivered a beautiful limited-edition Frameset, “Winding Detours adventure bike” based on artwork from the newly released ‘Detour Kollection’ by Ass Savers.
This Detour collection is inspired by the mind-blowing scenery of the Torino-Nice Rally, a 700km bike packing event in the French-Italian alps. During the 2018 edition, designer Jesper Jonsson and Ass Savers founder Staffan Widell overlooking a spectacular sunset over the last mountain range before the finish in Nice.
Working with OPEN, Ass Savers recruited help from two other cycling brands, Gramm Tourpacking and Podia. The result is 25 units, a worldwide limited-edition collection.
The custom OPEN WI.DE. frame has room for 2.4” tyres and a slightly more upright sitting position than the previous U.P. frame. Gramm Tourpacking came to the party with a complete set up of their custom-made bike packing bags. These are tailor made to perfectly fit the different sizes of the OPEN frame and including the bolt-on top tube bag and a brand-new addition, one for the handlebar.
Included Podia Edition Jersey
The Detour Jersey developed by Podia is based on their new LT jersey style. Manufactured in Italy from some of the lightest, softest fabrics available. Offering breathability and comfort in key areas, perfect for the most testing rides.
Save Ya Ass
The Swedish mudguard manufacturer Ass Savers invited OPEN cycle, GRAMM Tourpacking and Podia to elaborate on their newly released Detour design and the result is a unique and very limited set of frames, bags, jersey and of course, the complete set of the original Detour mudguards and bottles.
Monster Tyres, Nimble Ride
The monster tyres help you conquer the most extreme terrain, the performance geometry & narrow Q-factor keep you efficient while the steering geometry keeps you nimble.
The U.P.’s dropped chainstay has become Open's most copied frame feature ever. No wonder, as it is a great way to create more tyre clearance.
The WI.DE. goes one better. By dropping both chainstays, the monostay just behind the bottom bracket becomes a very efficient box structure. This increases BB stiffness, reduces weight and squeezes even more tyre clearance out of the frame.
Finding ways to fit the biggest possible tyre into a bike with road geometry and road cranks is one of Open's specialties. The WI.DE. does this thanks to the double-drop chainstays mentioned above and a dedicated 1x frame design. Since most of Open's customers run 1x drivetrains, they can use the inner chainring space to move the chainstay outward and increase tyre clearance.
As a result, the WI.DE. comfortably accepts up to 2.4” tyres in 650b (or 46mm on 700c wheels). Actual tyre width depends on tyre model and rim width, so measure instead of relying on the tyre label.
Forget “100% hi-modulus aero-space carbon”. It’s not about high- or low-modulus, it’s about the right carbon in the right spot (or TRCinTRS™ ). Fact: stiffer carbon is more brittle. So, it's great for stiffness (on the sides of the downtube) but bad for impact loads (for example around the headtube). Hence the best lay-up is a blend. Open strategically place the ultra-high modulus (very stiff) carbon where they can, and tougher grades of carbon where they must. That’s how their frames are both light and durable.
Open's U-Turn fork has always had massive tyre clearance, making it the perfect match for the WI.DE. It’s also very light, thanks to another Open innovation, Smartmount which attaches the calliper directly onto the fork, without any adaptors. The mounts are positioned pre-set for 160mm discs (the only sensible choice for gravel bikes).
Vertically thin chainstays and seatstays provide compliance, while their lateral width and layup ensure rock-solid propulsion. Truly the best of both worlds.
The downtube drives stiffness, connecting your steering centre to your drivetrain. The flat sides places strips of ultra-high modulus carbon where it matters most.
A zero-offset seatpost is lighter & more efficient, so the seattube angle is designed such that most riders can use a zero-offset rather than an off-set seatpost.
Internal cables & hoses stay clean & protected and frankly, they look better. Open's MultiStop design accepts 1x, 2x, mechanical, Di2 and eTap.
This design uses the same threads to hold the thru-axle and lock the derailleur hanger into the frame. Simpler, lighter, optimized for the stiffest thru-axle: Syntace X-12.
Included Excusive Limited-Edition Kit
• Detour Jersey
• Detour Bicycle Fender – Ass Saver
• Detour Bottle
• 1/3 frame bag Custom made for your frame
• Top tube bag 1.0L
• Seat bag 12L
• Handlebar Roll with mounting system
What’s in the Box
• OPEN WI.DE. Limited edition frame
• Limited edition fork
• Seat tube collar
• Front & rear thru-axle
• 2 x Rear derailleur hangers
• 3 x MultiStops (1x, Di2, eTap)
• Cable exit stop
• Noise-reduction foam sleeves
• Bottle cage bolts
• Model: WI.DE (Winding Detours)
• Material: Carbon-fibre
• Frame-only Weight, ±3%: 1040g (Medium)
• Fork-only weight, ±3%: 390g
• Sizes: Medium and Large only
• BB standard: BB386EVO pressfit 86x46mm BB shell
• Headset: Integrated IS42/28.6 | IS52/40
• Seatpost: 27.2mm diameter, standard set-up zero-offset
• Not Front derailleur mount, 1x drivetrains only
• Cage mounts: Seattube, downtube, under-downtube, under-BB
• TT bag mount system: 100mm front-post-to-headset-edge
• Shimano crank fit: All road cranks
• SRAM crank fit: All GXP road, all DUB road, Force 1 BB30
• Recommended ring shape: Flat (for example Wolftooth)
• Minimum 1x ring size: 38t (flat & offset rings)
• Maximum 1x ring size: 46t (flat ring), 42t (SRAM offset ring)
• Rear thru-axle: 142x12mm superlight Carbon-Ti X-12
• Front thru-axle: 100x12mm superlight Carbon-Ti X-12
• Front disc rotor size: 160mm only
• Front brake calliper mount: Smartmount 160 system with direct mount, no adaptors
• Front brake bolts SRAM: 37mm “REAR” brake bolts for 30mm "chainstay"
• Front brake bolts Shimano: 43mm “REAR” brake bolts for 30mm "chainstay"
• Rear disc rotor size: 160mm only
• Rear brake calliper mount: Smartmount 160 system with direct mount, no adaptors
• Rear brake bolts SRAM: 1x 27mm, 1x 32mm
• Rear brake bolts Shimano: 1x 33mm, 1x 38mm
• MultiStop internal system: Mechanical 1x, Di2, eTap
• 650b, gravel or mountain up to 2.4”
• 700c, gravel up to 46mm
• 700c, road 35-40mm wide