Oval chainrings work because a rider does not produce power evenly through a pedal stroke. Something cyclists minimize through working on pedalling technique. Oval rings negate the need for the precision in this technique as they maximize the part of the stroke where power is produced and minimize resistance where it isn't. Oval rings make the spin cycle smoother and are easier on legs while climbing. Believe it (or not), but a round chainring doesn't transfer torque to your rear wheel as smoothly as an Oval one. You will actually feel your stroke to be more "round" with an Oval shape than with a round chainring.
The absoluteBLACK CX1 Oval Sram direct mount chain ring is designed for SRAM specific uses. These include SRAM Force 22, Force 1, CX1, Rival 22, Rival 1, S900. GXP and BB30 models. Also fits SRAM XX1, X01, X0, X9, X7, S2210, S1400 GXP and Long spindle BB30 models (15mm spacer on drive side) Eagle 12spd compatible. As a 40T Oval chainring has an ovality of 38/42T, it is best for someone who uses currently a 39 or 40T round ring.
With oval rings, rear tyre traction improves greatly on loose and slippery terrain. Smoother power delivery to your rear wheel means that you will be able to maintain better, constant cadence; get less stress on the joints and be able to keep certain level of effort for longer. This results in higher average speed. According to absoluteBLACK 11 studies made by various Universities in the World show that using oval chainrings human legs utilize more muscle groups (compared to round one), but each of them to lesser degree. Load from pedalling an oval chainring is spread over greater muscle mass which in effect gives you the feeling of fresher and more relaxed legs.
• Size (+/-1g): 40T, 104 grams
• Colour: Black
• Material: CNC Machined 7075 Txxx Aluminium
• Finish: Type II Anodized
• Compatibility: SRAM Force 22, Force 1, CX1, Rival 22, Rival 1, S900. GXP and BB30 models. Also fits SRAM XX1, X01, X0, X9, X7, S2210, S1400 GXP and Long spindle BB30 models (15mm spacer on drive side) Eagle 12spd compatible
• Tooth Profile: Narrow/Wide
• Ovality: Approx. 13%
Advantages of absoluteBlack special Direct Mount chainrings:
• Finest design to provide excellent weight to strength ratio
• One of a kind special oval shape (Patent Pending)
• Unique Patent Pending narrow-wide teeth profiles to keep your chain in place for minimum 12 months!
• Special 3D teeth machining for ultimate mud relief decrease wear and noise dramatically
• Designed to handle mud and grass with easy
• They save weight because they don't need the spider and chainring bolts.
• Superb quality and great look.
• You will ride faster using ovals. If you keep using round ring then others will get quicker.
• You will not "feel" the oval shape at all
• Reduces stress on knees