Oval chainrings work because a rider does not produce power evenly through a pedal stroke. Something cyclists minimize through working on pedalling technique. Oval rings negate the need for the precision in this technique as they maximize the part of the stroke where power is produced and minimize resistance where it isn't. Oval rings make the spin cycle smoother and are easier on legs while climbing. Believe it (or not), but a round chainring doesn't transfer torque to your rear wheel as smoothly as an Oval one. You will actually feel your stroke to be more "round" with an Oval shape than with a round chainring.
The absoluteBLACK 1x Oval Sram GXP direct mount chain ring is designed for SRAM specific uses. These include SRAM XX1, XX1 Eagle, X01, X01 Eagle, X1-1400, GX-1400, X0, X9, X7, S2210, S1400 and Truvativ Descendant cranks. GXP® and Long spindle BB30 models (15mm spacer on drive side) 9-10-11-12spd. 32T oval ring will suit best someone who uses a 31 or 32T chainring currently. While pedaling, you will feel similar effort to the one riding round 31T ring, but you will gain the speed similar to riding 34T chainring.
With oval rings, rear tyre traction improves greatly on loose and slippery terrain. Smoother power delivery to your rear wheel means that you will be able to maintain better, constant cadence; get less stress on the joints and be able to keep certain level of effort for longer. This results in higher average speed. According to absoluteBLACK 11 studies made by various Universities in the World show that using oval chainrings human legs utilize more muscle groups (compared to round one), but each of them to lesser degree. Load from pedalling an oval chainring is spread over greater muscle mass which in effect gives you the feeling of fresher and more relaxed legs.
• Size (+/-1g): 32T, 59 grams
• Colour: Black
• Material: CNC Machined 7075 Txxx Aluminium
• Finish: Type II Anodized
• Compatibility: SRAM XX1, XX1 Eagle, X01, X01 Eagle, X1-1400, GX-1400, X0, X9, X7, S2210, S1400 and Truvativ Descendant cranks. GXP® and Long spindle BB30 models (15mm spacer on drive side) 9-10-11-12spd.
• Chainline: 49mm
• Tooth Profile: Narrow/Wide
• Ovality: Approx. 13%
Advantages of absoluteBlack special Direct Mount chainrings:
• Finest design to provide excellent weight to strength ratio
• One of a kind special oval shape (Patent Pending)
• Greatly improves traction and climbing abilities
• Unique Patent Pending alternate wide and narrow teeth profiles to keep your chain in place for minimum 12 months!
• Special 3D teeth machining for ultimate mud relief decrease wear and noise dramatically
• They save weight because they don't need the spider and chainring bolts.
• The ability of installation of a smaller ring sizes that can't be mounted on regular spider.
• Superb quality and great look.
• You will ride faster using ovals. If you keep using round ring then others will get quicker.
• You will not "feel" the oval shape at all
• Reduces stress on knees
• We mastered our oval chainrings to perfection, so you can get best possible advantage from the oval/elliptical shape.