Oval chainrings work because a rider does not produce power evenly through a pedal stroke. Something cyclists minimize through working on pedalling technique. Oval rings negate the need for the precision in this technique as they maximize the part of the stroke where power is produced and minimize resistance where it isn't. Oval rings make the spin cycle smoother and are easier on legs while climbing. Believe it (or not), but a round chainring doesn't transfer torque to your rear wheel as smoothly as an Oval one. You will actually feel your stroke to be more "round" with an Oval shape than with a round chainring.
The absoluteBLACK RaceFace Cinch Direct mount Oval traction chainrings are designed for RaceFace Cinch system cranks. 34T Oval chainring has an ovality of 32/36T and is best for someone who uses currently a 33 or 34T round ring.
With oval rings, rear tyre traction improves greatly on loose and slippery terrain. Smoother power delivery to your rear wheel means that you will be able to maintain better, constant cadence; get less stress on the joints and be able to keep certain level of effort for longer. This results in higher average speed. According to absoluteBLACK 11 studies made by various Universities in the World show that using oval chainrings human legs utilize more muscle groups (compared to round one), but each of them to lesser degree. Load from pedalling an oval chainring is spread over greater muscle mass which in effect gives you the feeling of fresher and more relaxed legs.
The chainring has a mark on the backside that you need to line up with the center of the crank arm to achieve the main/recommended position. Once this is done use a BB key to lock the lockring. If you wish to try a more aggressive setup, rotate the chainring from main position clockwise by one notch on the splines. This will rotate the oval by further 22deg. We do Not recommend second position for beginners. Before you start experimenting with the clocking of the ring, make sure you've ridden for a minimum of 5 months in the main position first.
• Size (+/-1g): 34T, 69 grams
• Colour: Black
• Material: CNC Machined 7075 Txxx Aluminium
• Finish: Type II Anodized
• Compatibility: RaceFace Cinch system cranks. RF Next SL, RF SIXC, RF Turbine, RF Atlas, AEFFECT CINCH cranks. Fits Boost148 frames as well. 1x12 Eagle compatible
• Chainline: 49.9mm
• Ovality: Approx. 13%
Advantages of absoluteBlack special Direct mount chainrings:
• Mastered oval chainring, so you can get best possible advantage from the oval/elliptical shape.
• Finest design to provide excellent weight to strength ratio
• One of a kind special oval shape (Patent Pending)
• Greatly improves traction and climbing abilities
• Unique Patent Pending narrow-wide teeth profiles to keep your chain in place for minimum 12 months!
• Special 3D teeth machining for ultimate mud relief decrease wear and noise dramatically
• Superb quality and great look.
• You will not "feel" the oval shape at all
• Reduces stress on knees