The latest addition to the Powertap portfolio of power meters is the P1S. It is very similar to its older brother (the P1), except for the fact that the right pedal is actually a dummy. The left pedal has the electronics in it, and the right pedal has no electronics.
The main visual difference is the black battery cover, which cannot be removed (so you can’t mistakenly put a battery in it).
Functionally, what happens is the left pedal will double its watt measurement and give you total power. It is very similar to all the other single sided power meters out there. Weight savings are small because the electronics don’t weigh much. You’ll enjoy the same ease of installation in switching from bike to bike as the P1, in addition to that, it broadcasts in both Bluetooth and ANT+.
Another major difference is the cost. As half of the electronics have been removed (which are quite expensive), you get a serious reduction in the price. So if you’re a bike enthusiast who is interested in getting into power, and you want a pedal power meter system, there is no better way to get started with accurate pedal-based power than the P1S from Powertap.
• An affordable way to measure power at the pedals
• Doubles left pedal measurement to calculate total power
• Easily swap between bikes for a vast range of compatibility
• Weight: 390 grams
• Thread Type: 9/16"
• Cleats: Included (Look Keo style, red)
• Cleat Interface: 3 bolt
• Cleat: Red, 6 degree floating
• Spring Type: Adjustable Elastomer
• Proven PowerTap accuracy
• Release Tension: 6-20 Nm
• Stack Height: 14mm
• Centre of Pedal: 53mm (measured from crank to pedal)
• Lean Angle: 25.5 degrees (based on 175mm crank length, 75mm BB drop and 147mm Q-Factor crank)
• Firmware Updates: Over the air
• Connectivity: ANT+ and Bluetooth SMART
• Battery: AAA Lithium (alkaline and/or rechargeable alkaline batteries not recommended for extended use)
• Battery Life: 60 hours
• No weight limit
• Power data: Yes
• Cadence data: Yes